ReUse Works Internship: Communications Coordinator
ReUse Works seeks an intern who will be responsible for communicating Ragfinery and Appliance Depot’s stories in writing, through photography/video, and in-person to our larger community via organizational websites, social media, print media, and events. This is an unpaid, part-time position with flexible hours that will extend for a minimum of two quarters. The position reports to our executive director and collaborates with our media specialist.
ReUse Works is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with a multi-pronged mission to provide job training and economic development by reusing and repurposing resources that would otherwise be disposed of. Through our reuse-focused programs – Appliance Depot and Ragfinery – we engage our community in waste reduction and creative reuse while providing job-training services to residents seeking work experience for long-term employment. As retail storefronts, our programs are uniquely positioned to educate and inspire our community to become actively involved in waste reduction. (More information about our programs can be found at reuseworks.org.)
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills and attributes:
- Strong written communication skills and narrative ability;
- Visual communications skills, experience, and interest (photography and videography);
- Engaging and thoughtful interpersonal communications style;
- Familiarity with Instagram, Faceboook, and Pinterest;
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with occasional supervision;
- The ability to initiate and follow through on projects;
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and the ability to prioritize;
- Ability to meet deadlines;
- A passion for the work we do at ReUse Works.
The key responsibilities of the Communications Coordinator are:
- Communicate ReUse Works’ successes, news, and stories to the community;
- Share engaging content related to our mission;
- Create press releases and feature stories;
- Create and post web content, newsletter content, blog posts, etc.;
- Provide logistical and promotional support for ReUse Works’ events;
- Represent organization at community events;
- Track and report on analytics of various communication channels;
- Provide support as needed to Media Specialist;
The intern will gain experience in:
- The basic operations of a nonprofit organization;
- Supporting a successful retail business;
- Maintaining professional interpersonal relationships;
- Scheduling, project management, and time management;
- Building useful relationships within the community;
- The use of advanced social media tools and WordPress Content Management System;
- Topics relating to digital photography, analytics, graphic design, website management, strategic planning, evaluation, budgeting and more.
Timeline and Goals:
The Communications Coordinator Intern position is a part-time, unpaid position for 10 hours per week on-site at ReUse Works starting in Summer or Fall 2018 and continuing for at least two quarters.
Please send the following application materials to Dallas Betz, firstname.lastname@example.org
- A cover letter and resume
- 1-2 writing samples (and 1-2 design examples, if available)
- Your availability over your desired quarters, including start and end dates (please be specific)
Applications accepted on a rolling basis.