Position: APPLIANCE DEPOT PROGRAM MANAGER
Job Type: Full-time; Monday – Friday, 9:30am to 6:00pm, occasional weekends
FLSA Status: Exempt
ReUse Works was founded on the simple premise that there is economic and social opportunity in both the products and the people that our society has discarded. With this in mind, a group of low income Whatcom County residents and social service advocates formed ReUse Works in 2004. Its mission is to “provide job training, jobs, and opportunities for low income residents using waste and discarded materials.” In 2005, we opened Appliance Depot, a job training and reuse business that salvages, repairs, and sells used appliances. In 2014, we opened Ragfinery, a job training and reuse business that upcycles post-consumer clothing and textiles.
We accomplish our mission by inviting the community to participate with us in creative reuse and diverting waste from the landfill to our ReUse programs: Appliance Depot and Ragfinery.
For more information, please visit www.ReUseWorks.org
Reporting to the Executive Director (ED), the Program Manager (PM) is responsible for leading and overseeing all aspects of Appliance Depot’s retail store, appliance re-use/recycling shop, and community programs. The PM will lead a team of sales staff, shop technicians, interns/trainees, and volunteers as they seek to serve our mission and work towards Appliance Depot maintaining economic self-sufficiency. The PM will review production and programming goals on an ongoing basis and adapt to needed changes as they emerge. The PM will inform the Executive Director, and ultimately the board of directors, of all program issues and accomplishments.
The Appliance Depot Program Manager will partner with the ReUse Works leadership team and the staff they serve to identify, develop, and implement activities that positively drive the ReUse Works culture, while also being responsible for all program planning, organizing, operating, and staffing of Appliance Depot. The PM is responsible for developing, implementing, and managing the Appliance Depot annual budget in conjunction with the Executive Director and Business Manager.
The PM is responsible for ensuring that Appliance Depot’s services are in compliance with all federal, state, funding, and city regulations, and safety requirements. Finally, the PM will assist the ED in planning, organizing, and implementing public and private fund-raising initiatives and will be responsible for grant management and program data/sales tracking for all of Appliance Depot.
- Provide effective and inspiring leadership, as well as stewardship, of Appliance Depot and its resources by being actively involved in all programs and services. This includes working alongside staff in all activities, including but not limited to recycling, repair, cleaning, and delivery.
- Implement and lead a continuous quality improvement process throughout the Appliance Depot shop and retail store, focusing on systems/process improvement.
- Promote regular and ongoing opportunities for all staff to give feedback on program operations.
- Lead a high performing team to the next level by further developing and implementing recruitment, training, and retention strategies as well as efficiently managing work flow.
- Partner with the ED to represent ReUse Works/Appliance Depot with the public, including community, governmental, and private organizations. This includes participating in Appliance Depot marketing and advertising efforts.
- Ensure that all Appliance Depot program activities operate consistently and ethically within the mission and values of ReUse Works.
- Prepare and submit a weekly sales report, monthly board reports, monthly budget review, and any grant reports as needed.
- Effectively manage Appliance Depot’s budget and report accurately on progress made and challenges encountered.
- Ensure the continued financial sustainability and vitality of Appliance Depot’s programs and service through sound fiscal management and effective oversight/maintenance of equipment, tools, and inventory.
- Provide programmatic leadership and input for all strategic planning processes with the Board, ED, and staff.
- Demonstrated experience supervising staff, interns, and/or volunteers.
- Demonstrated customer service experience; sales experience preferred
- Demonstrated ability to organize and manage work flow; production experience preferred
- Demonstrated ability to manage a budget; grant management preferred
- Demonstrated experience with Microsoft products including Word and Excel
- Strong relationship builder and communicator who is able to demonstrate experience leading and/or collaborating with diverse work teams, developing strategies for program excellence, and engaging community partners.
- Can point to tangible examples of reporting and program measurement and evaluation.
- Demonstrates integrity, strives for excellence in their work, and has experience of leading others to new levels of effectiveness and impact.
This is an outstanding opportunity to lead within an emerging nonprofit. You will be partnering with the board, ED, leadership team and staff to influence our core values and culture, create space for individuals and the community to thrive, as well as grow Appliance Depot’s reach to yet unknown territory. ReUse Works is a growing organization and this position will impact our capacity to grow and continuously improve our compensation package.
The Appliance Depot Program Manager position is salaried and pays $17.00 to $19.87/hour based on experience. We offer paid vacation, sick leave, and paid holidays. Employer matched retirement available after a year. We seek to provide opportunities for professional development and are committed to all of our employees thriving. At this time we are not able to offer health insurance, however we work with local health advocates to support you in finding appropriate coverage on the Washington State Health Exchange.
Please send your resume to email@example.com. Include a cover letter that explains what excites you about this position and highlights how you are uniquely qualified to fill the program manager role based on the information in this job description and our website.
Position will close at midnight on Wednesday March, 27th